Main content of the website

Frequently Asked Questions

Is your question not listed?  Feel free to call or email us and we'll be happy to assist you.
  • Online: Most financial institutions now have the R.M. of Prairie Lakes available for on-line payments. Please contact your financial institution to see if this option is available to you.
  • Telepay
  • Debit/Credit: To offset the cost of payment fees when credit card payments are made through the debit/credit card machine, Council has decided that a charge of 1.5% will be applied to all credit card payments as of February 15th, 2019.
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • E-transfer

Belmont Utility customers are invoiced quarterly, at the beginning of February, May, August and November.

Dunrea Utility customers are invoiced yearly, and are due October 31st of each year.

Ninette Sewer customers are invoiced yearly, and are due October 31st of each year.

Tax notices are sent out to property owners no later than July 15th of each year.

Supplementary tax notices are sent out in the fall of each year.

Taxes are due October 31st of each year.

Added taxes are due November 30th of each year.

You are eligible for the Homeowner's Tax Assistance credit on the property with your principle residence and you must have occupied the home since January 1st of the applicable tax year.

If you are eligible, but did not receive a credit, contact the administration office.

Once approved, you do not need to apply on a yearly basis.

You can only receive a credit on one residence.

If the deadline for applications has passed, you can still receive the credit on your annual income tax return.

The rebate applies to all Class 30 Assessments of farm land only. Forms will be mailed out to you from your local MASC office. If you did not receive forms, they are available by contacting your local MASC office.

Every two years, the provincial assessment office checks to see whether the assessed values of residential and commercial properties in the RM conform to their actual market value.

Generally, by comparing your home to other properties that recently sold in your area of the municipality, provided they're roughly the same vintage, condition and size.

Any time your assessment changes, you will get a notice via mail in plenty of time before property tax bills are sent out.

Contact the Assessment office as soon as possible. If they decide a change is necessary, a supplementary tax bill may be issued.

If a satisfactory arrangement is not made, a property owner may appeal their assessment to the Board of Revision later in the year.

Each year the Board of Revision (Council) meets and hears appeals from property owners who wish to appeal their assessment.

Appeals must be submitted to the municipal office in writing. The deadline for appeals is announced annually in the local newspapers.

The local Assessment Office (Intergovernmental Affairs & Trade) located in Souris, Manitoba.  You can contact them by telephone at 1-866-262-7647. They can provide further details on your assessment(s).

You may contact the Land Titles Office at 1-844-737-5684.

You may contact the Pelican-Rock Lake Planning District office at 204-537-2722

Anyone may attend council meetings. If you wish to address Council with a particular matter, you need to contact the Municipal Office at least three (3) days prior to the meeting to make a provision to have it added to the agenda.

Maps of the R.M. of Prairie Lakes can be purchased at the municipal offices for a fee of $25.00 for Black & White, $35.00 for Color and $40.00 for Color Laminated.

The fee for a tax certificate is $25.00 per parcel.

If you wish to have your name removed from the property ownership map, please contact the administration office.