Our Government

Frequently Asked Questions
 Q: What forms of payment do you accept?
  • Online: Most financial institutions now have the R.M. of Prairie Lakes available for on-line payments. Please contact your financial institution to see if this option is available to you.
  • Telepay
  • Debit / Credit: To offset the cost of payment fees when credit card payments are made through the debit/credit card machine, Council has decided that a charge of 1.5% will be applied to all credit card payments as of February 15th, 2019.
  • Cash
  • Cheque
  • E-transfer
Q: When are utility charges invoiced in the R.M. of Prairie Lakes?
  • Belmont Utility customers are invoiced quarterly, at the beginning of February, May, August and November.
  • Dunrea Utility customers are invoiced yearly, and are due October 31st of each year.
  • Ninette Sewer customers are invoiced yearly, and are due October 31st of each year.
Q. When are tax notices sent out?
  • Tax notices are sent out to property owners no later than July 15th of each year.
  • Supplementary tax notices are sent out in the fall of each year.
Q: When are taxes due?
  • Taxes are due October 31st of each year.
  • Added taxes are due November 30th of each year.
Q: Am I eligible for the Homeowner's Tax Assistance credit?
  • You are eligible for the Homeowner's Tax Assistance credit on the property with your principle residence and you must have occupied the home since January 1st of the applicable tax year.
  • If you are eligible, but did not receive a credit, contact the administration office.
  • Once approved, you do not need to apply on a yearly basis.
  • You can only receive a credit on one residence.
  • If the deadline for applications has passed, you can still receive the credit on your annual income tax return.
Q: Am I eligible for the Farmland School Tax Rebate?
  • The rebate applies to all Class 30 Assessments of farm land only. Forms will be mailed out to you from your local MASC office. If you did not receive forms, they are available by contacting your local MASC office.
 Q: Why does the value of my property get reassessed?
  • Every two years, the provincial assessment office checks to see whether the assessed values of residential and commercial properties in the RM conform to their actual market value.
 Q: How do they come up with the assessment value?
  • Generally, by comparing your home to other properties that recently sold in your area of the municipality, provided they're roughly the same vintage, condition and size.
Q: How will I hear about my new assessment value?
  • Any time your assessment changes, you will get a notice via mail in plenty of time before property tax bills are sent out.
 Q: I'm not happy with my assessment, what do I do?
  • Contact the Assessment office as soon as possible. If they decide a change is necessary, a supplementary tax bill may be issued.
  • If a satisfactory arrangement is not made, a property owner may appeal their assessment to the Board of Revision later in the year.
Q: How can I appeal my assessment?
  • Each year the Board of Revision (Council) meets and hears appeals from property owners who wish to appeal their assessment.
  • Appeals must be submitted to the municipal office in writing. The deadline for appeals is announced annually in the local newspapers.
Q: Where can I retrieve more information on a current property tax assessment?
  • The local Assessment Office (Intergovernmental Affairs & Trade) located in Souris, Manitoba.  You can contact them by telephone at 1-866-262-7647. They can provide further details on your assessment(s).
Q: Who would I need to contact if I would like to search the title of my property?
  • You may contact the Land Titles Office at 1-844-737-5684.
Q: Who can I contact to get information on Building Permits, Variations, Rezoning, Conditional Uses, etc?
  • You may contact the 23 West Planning District office at 204-537-2722
Q: Who may attend Council meetings?
  • Anyone may attend council meetings. If you wish to address Council with a particular matter, you need to contact the Municipal Office at least three (3) days prior to the meeting to make a provision to have it added to the agenda.
Q: What is the fee for a tax certificate?
  • The fee for a tax certificate is $25.00.
Q: Where can I obtain a map of the R.M. of Prairie Lakes?
  • Maps of the R.M. of Prairie Lakes can be purchased at the municipal offices for a fee of $25.00 for Black & White, $35.00 for Color and $40.00 for Color Laminated.
Q: How can I have my name removed from the Property Ownership Map?
  • If you wish to have your name removed from the property ownership map, please contact the administration office.
Q: Is your question not listed?
  • Feel free to call or email us and we'll be happy to assist you.